Sunday, July 22, 2012

Home Made Condensed Milk


I made this for no other reason other than I wanted to know I could!

There's a couple of recipes around. The easiest is this one:

1/3 cup hot water
2/3 cup sugar
1 cup powdered milk - this can be full cream or skim milk
3 tablespoons butter

Add all ingredients to Thermomix Bowl and blend for 3 minutes on speed 3 - 4.

The tastiest is this one:

1 litre whole milk
400g raw sugar
25g butter

Place in the Thermomix bowl and cook on Varoma at speed 4.5 for 45 - 50 minutes.
The high speed is necessary or the milk will volcano out of the Thermomix. The MC needs to be in place to stop any extraneous spitting!
This tastes and looks like regular condensed milk. I used raw sugar, so the final result appears a bit darker than normal.
If cooked for longer, you will get caramelised Condensed Milk.

Here's a great mayonnaise recipe:
Mix 200g of the condensed milk with 125g white vinegar, 2 tsp dry mustard and 1/2 tsp salt. This is basic mayonnaise.
For a delicious Broccoli Salad Dressing,  add 2 tsp wholegrain mustard, 1/2 cup yoghurt and juice of 1/2 a lemon.

13 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I had the Thermomix, I would just use 1 Liter of milk and 150 g of plain sugar, and use VAROMA, 45 minutes to 50 minutes, speed 4.5. The TM31 manual says everytime on Varoma 15 minutes is spent with liquids containing water are cooked, 250 grams of water are distilled off. There is 1150 g of edible material originally present, but in 45 minutes, the edible material will have lost 750 g of water, leaving a remainder of 400 g edible material left in the Thermomix. My calculations show that the final product will have at least 8% Butterfat and at least 20% milk solids not fat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 150g of sugar isn't enough to give the caramelly flavour of canned condensed milk. This is what I was imitating.

      Delete
    2. I really enjoyed your recipe. I love that it uses pure whole ingredients rather than processed ones. Thank you very much for sharing it :-)

      Delete
  3. So therefore what would be the effect of using only 150 grams of sugar instead of the 400 grams you called for?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have no idea, it just wouldn't be the same as condensed milk.
    Perhaps you could give it a go and let me know! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was thinking: there is only one problem with your recipe that uses whole milk and sugar: there are not enough milk solids to make your product TRULY up to standard. There is more than enough sugar to make it thick. I have come up with this alternative recipe, and it is much quicker: 200 g powdered sugar (make sure that one of the ingredients is cornstarch), 50 g butter, 50 g powdered skim milk, 700 g whole milk. You only need to run it in the varoma for 30 minutes (with the steamer basket used instead of the usual cover), and at speed 5. In that time, 500 g water is lost, yielding 500 g of Sweetened Condensed Milk.

    What is the yield of your original recipe using 1 L whole milk and 400 g Raw Sugar, and the Varoma?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the recipe-my hubby is a 'nestle' sweetened condensed milk fan. Now I can make that too. From a fellow west Aussie-I will continue to follow your blog...Marisha from Albany. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marisha! Check out the recipe for Sweetened Condensed Coconut Milk, too. It's delicious.

      Delete
  7. G'day! Thanks for inspiring me re your recipe! It came out GREAT and is a keeper!
    Here's a link should you wish to view!
    Cheers! Joanne
    http://bit.ly/1jFlCIP

    ReplyDelete
  8. G'day As a friendly follow up, could you please let me know about how much longer I would have to get caramelised Condensed Milk? Look forward to your reply!
    Cheers! Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Joanne,
    I would guess another 10 to 15 minutes. You'd have to check carefully as the sugar may burn and stick to the bottom!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have you experimented with this recipe at all to make coffee condensed milk??

    ReplyDelete